Melanie Wise 2 Day
The UC Berkeley School of Public Health, Center for Health Leadership
Innovative Leaders Speaker Series:
Two-Day Grant Writing Workshop:
Part 2 and 3 of the Grant Writing for Public Health Professionals Series with Melanie Wise
Friday, October 18th and Friday October 25th, 2013
8:30am - 4:00pm
UC Berkeley School of Public Health
University Hall, Room 41C and Room 101
In this two-day hands-on workshop, Part 2 and 3 of the Grant Writing for Public Health Professionals Series, participants learned a 14-step process for writing grant proposals. Time was spent in class working on each stage of the process from research, planning, and drafting, to editing. Participants worked collaboratively to draft key narrative sections of the proposal, practice writing strategically and effectively, and learn editing strategies for piecing the narrative sections together. Read Melanie's blogpost from the event here and access the slides from the workshop here!
After successful completion of the three-part program, participants will be able to:
- Understand the funding process and the role of funders – foundations, corporate giving programs, and government agencies
- Research funding opportunities using databases such as the Foundation Center website and Grants.gov
- Understand the requirements of the different proposal types including letters of inquiry, online applications, and traditional bound paper proposals
- Decipher and respond effectively to RFPs (Requests for Proposals)
- Schedule and manage the proposal writing process
- Organize proposal content and create sections and headings
- Format proposals for ease of reading and strategic emphasis
- Understand the requirements of each section of the proposal narrative
- Draft letters of inquiry and proposal narratives
- Use language that communicates clearly and persuasively
- Effectively edit and proofread proposals
- Locate resources for further study
Who should attend?
- Anyone in the public health workforce, including public health leaders and professionals
- Anyone who would like to develop a practical skill in basic grant writing methodology
- Anyone with a desire to learn more about the basic grant writing process either as a practitioner or as a supervisor
Preliminary Session Agenda for Each Day:
8:30am - 9:00am: Registration, Coffee & Bagels
9:00am - 12:00pm: Workshop (instructor will announce breaks)
12:00pm - 1:00pm: Lunch on your own
1:00pm - 4:00pm: Workshop (instructor will announce breaks)
About the Grant Writing for Public Health Professionals Series with Melanie Wise
As funding has increasingly tightened in recent years, grant writing has become an essential skill for many staff members in the public health field. This three-part series prepared attendees for the challenges of writing grant proposals. The series began with "Basic Grant Writing for Public Health Professionals," a two-hour presentation, followed by the "Two Day Grant Writing Workshop," a hands-on two-day grant-writing workshop.
About the Innovative Leaders Speaker Series
Our goal for the new Innovative Leaders Speaker Series is to provide public health professionals with an opportunity to learn about innovative ideas and new ways of thinking while creating a forum to share these ideas with others. Each session will provide you with an opportunity to hear directly from leaders and to network with your peers.
Friday, October 18th and Friday, October 25th, 2013, 8:30am - 4:00pm
The Innovative Leaders Speaker Series is sponsored by the Center for Health Leadership (CHL) and the California Pacific Public Health Training Center (CALPACT). The CHLmission is to inspire and empower current and emerging health leaders to realize their leadership potential and to solve the health challenges facing California and the world, and to increase the depth and quality of diverse health leaders and professionals in all health sectors. The CHL aspires to accomplish this by serving as an innovative, lifelong resource for students, alumni, and other professionals to enhance their capacity to lead from where they are, and to enhance their ability to create transformational impacts on public health and health care. Each speaker in the Series provides our students and professionals with essential resources that promote leadership through innovation.
All talks in this new Series are open to public health and health care professionals, faculty, staff and students.
UC Berkeley School of Public Health, University Hall, Room 41C (Friday, October 18th) and Room 101 (Friday, October 25th), Berkeley, CA.
$300 for two full-day sessions
$250 for two full-day sessions for UC Berkeley employees, students, and alumni
**Please note that registrants must participate in both workshops. Refunds will not be issued for registrants that only attend one of the days.**
About Melanie Wise:
Melanie Wise is passionate about helping people communicate more effectively. Through her consulting firm WiseExposition, she has spent more than a decade solving the communications challenges of organizations big and small, including Catholic Charities, Satellite Housing, County of Alameda, Google, Hewlett-Packard, UCSF, West Coast Children’s Clinic, and many more. Solutions include grant writing services, communications materials, and training programs. In addition to her consulting work, Melanie develops curricula and teaches communications classes at San Francisco State University, UC Berkeley Extension, and UC Berkeley’s Center for Organizational & Workforce Effectiveness (COrWE). She holds an MA in English and a certificate for teaching writing to adult learners. Please visit WiseExposition to learn more about Melanie's work!