CHLA Conference 2013
Passion in Action: Inspiring Innovation in Public Health
Friday, April 19, 2013 - 1:00pm to 4:30pm
Hearst Memorial Mining Building, Room 290
UC Berkeley Campus
Inspire. The CHLA’s first annual Leadership Conference, Passion in Action: Inspiring Innovation in Public Health did just that. This afternoon of conversation, collaboration and good food amplified the voices of some of Berkeley’s most dedicated drivers of change and provided a forum for discussing the process of turning passion into meaningful action.
Over 40 students and faculty were in attendance to hear the stories of 5 inspired students from various programs. Speakers addressed strategies for healthcare equity and medical record access, early HIV screening, sustainable agriculture, sexuality education and more. Attendees and presenters enjoyed collaborative activities and nontraditional presentation of important work in public health with a focus on ideation, problem solving process and future opportunities.
Keynote speaker, Ana Marie Jones, Executive Director of Collaborating Agencies Responding to Disasters (CARD) kicked off the event with a call to empower communities in addressing health by bringing joy, accessibility and resilience to the table. Ralph Catalano, Health and Social Behavior professor, also spoke. Will Haar, MPH/MSW candidate, hosted the day’s activities. The event brought together diverse individuals engaging in dialogue around common conviction to see healthier lives in a safer world. In this way, the CHLA certainly achieved its mission to create a space that inspires to lead from where you are.
- Provide a forum for cross-disciplinary discussion among students, faculty and community members working to improve public health.
- Inspire ideas and new ways of thinking through the expression of personal passion.
- Drive passion into action and motivate the attendees to aspire to lead from where they are.
- Promote the good work of UC Berkeley and the Berkeley community to the world!
- How Passion Became a Big Idea: Salud x Chile
Soledad Martinez, MD MPH; PhD Candidate in Health Services and Policy Analysis
- Fight HIV/AIDS Through Early Detection, and Help Folks Live to be 100
Christopher Ategeka, CEO Privail Inc, PhD Candidate in Mechanical Engineering
- Emmunify: Leveraging Technology to Save Children's Lives
Jessica Watterson, MPH Candidate in Health Policy and Management
- There Grows the Neighborhood
Chaya Nayak, MPP Candidate
- Sexuality Education Online: Content and Delivery
Summer Starling, MPH, DrPH Candidate, Research Scientist with the Public Health Institute
This TED-style conference was free and open to the public. Click here to view the conference flyer.
Current Passion in Action Committee Members: