The Center for Health Leadership Association (CHLA) is Rebranding!
On behalf of the Board, we are happy to announce our new name: The Student Collaborative for Impact Leadership (SCIL, pronounced "skill"). We listened to valuable feedback from current members and chose the new name and brand to reflect our mission and commitment to:
- A collaborative environment
- The diversity of our School of Public Health programs
- Our impact on health leadership
- A focus on professional skill development
The Student Collaborative for Impact Leadership (SCIL) - formerly the Center for Health Leadership Association (CHLA) - at the UC Berkeley School of Public Health is a professional, student-run organization whose vision is to empower students to become leaders in the field of public health. The SCIL is comprised of students from every concentration at the School of Public Health and is governed by a board of students who gain valuable experience learning how to build and manage a decision-making body.
SCIL aims to provide students with professional development opportunities that will:
- Give them a platform to take initiative and execute new ideas
- Strengthen key skills such as networking, communication, collaboration, and project management
- Build a strong network by connecting with local, statewide, and global alumni
Download our flyer!
SCIL members from all disciplines will become leaders and embrace the challenges facing the field of public health today. We recognize that all students bring valuable leadership skills and unique experiences to the School of Public Health. We will provide members with fun and collaborative opportunities to enhance their real-world skills. The SCIL will leverage local, statewide, and global alumni to build a community of public health leaders.
SCIL Members Chrissy Badaracco, Elise Harb and Amelia Plant at Leadership Day 2016
SCIL Board and Association Members
The SCIL is governed by a Student Board of 12 students who gain valuable experience learning how to build and manage a decision-making body. Board members serve as project managers for each SCIL committee. The SCIL has 3 committees: Conference, Leaders-in-Action-Grants, and Networking and Events. All SCIL members are active in at least one committee through the school year, and SCIL Board Members also serve as project managers for their respective committees. Learn more about the committees here.
DeStress Fest 2016
Board members also focus on strategic planning to ensure that the SCIL achieves its vision. Each Board member contributes about 8-12 hours a month. SCIL members develop leadership and management skills by participating in committees and planning and executing committee projects. SCIL members also identify specific skills they would like to develop and receive preferred access to CPHPL and SCIL programs to develop those skills. Each member contributes about 4-6 hours a month.
Learn more here about the multiple ways you can join the SCIL this year!
Upcoming Events and News
- Tuesday, Apr. 18, 10am-1pm: SPH Career Fair. 150 University Hall.
- Friday, Apr. 28, 11am-2pm: DeStress Fest. Crescent Lawn, UC Berkeley.
- Thursday, Feb. 2, 5:30pm-7pm: Working for the California Department of Public Health Panel.
- Tuesday, Feb. 7, 5:30pm-8pm: Career Cafe 2017. Alumni House.
- Wednesday, Feb. 8, 5:30pm-7:30pm: PHAA Alumni and Student Reception/Happy Hour. The Trappist in downtown Oakland.
- Tuesday, Feb. 28, 5pm-8pm: Interview Skills Workshop.
- Tuesday, Mar. 7, 12pm-4pm: 5th Annual SCIL Conference: StoryCon 2017: The Policy Puzzle.