Leadership Day 2013
2013 Annual Leadership Day:
“Leading From Where You Are”
Tuesday, August 27th, 2013
11:00am - 5:30pm
with Wine and Cheese reception to follow!
Lunch and snacks will be provided.
To kick off the 2013 school year, we invited all newly admitted UC Berkeley School of Public Health graduate students to attend the Center for Health Leadership's 2013 Annual Leadership Day on Tuesday, August 27th, 2013!
Most students come to the School of Public Health at Berkeley because they want to make a difference in the world, and school is a way to gain the knowledge, skills and networks necessary to make that difference. At the Center for Health Leadership, we strive to help students become leaders that make that difference in the world. We do this by offering a variety of opportunities for active learning, both inside and outside the classroom, during and after the student's time at UC Berkeley.
Leadership Day is a great opportunity to interact with current and former students, professors, and community leaders before classes begin. It is also the first chance for students to get a glimpse of the opportunities they have for practicing leadership in the diverse field of public health and to understand how they can take advantage of their time at school to develop leadership skills.
11:00am-11:30am Registration - Alumni House Foyer
11:30am-5:00pm Program and Networking (lunch and snacks provided):
- Welcome and Opening Remarks: Jeff Oxendine, Associate Dean, Public Health Practice and Jennifer Lachance, Associate Director, Center for Health Leadership
- Why Lead in Public Health? Kathy Kwan, MBA, MPH, Eustace-Kwan Family Foundation
- Student Perspectives: Fellows, Student Board, Associations, Cal STAPH, Ways to Get Involved in Leadership: Jennifer Lachance, Associate Director, Center for Health Leadership
- Leading in Teams Workshop: Ellie Schindelman, CHL Fellows Coordinator, Center for Health Leadership
- Public Health Leadership: Ron Chapman, MD, MPH, Director & State Health Officer, California Department of Public Health
- Speed Dating ~ Networking: With emerging public health leaders and recent School of Public Health alumni
5:00pm-5:30pm Wine and Cheese Reception
Student highlights from the Annual Leadership Day:
"A lot of knowledge on how to do this learning that leadership should be prioritized from Day 1."
"Learned about opportunities to get involved and further develop my leadership skills
and how important leadership is in any setting."
"Thank you for organizing such a multi-faceted, invigorating, dynamic and inspiring melange of
activities. The event was brilliantly designed and seamlessly carried out."
"Effective. Ellie was life changing.
I learned more for group projects in that one session than throughout my entire academic career!
I can't wait to put those ideas to use and test them out."